I-94 Travel History: A Helpful Guide for International Travelers

passengers in airport terminal


If you are an international traveler who has visited the United States in the past five years, you may have heard of the Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record. This is a document that records your entry and exit dates, visa status, and other information about your stay in the U.S. It is an important document that you may need for various purposes, such as applying for immigration benefits, extending your stay, or proving your legal presence.

But do you know how to access your I-94 travel history online? Do you know what to do if you lose your I-94 or if it contains errors? Do you know how to check your travel compliance and avoid overstaying your visa?

In this blog post, I will answer these questions and more. I will explain what the I-94 is, how to get it, how to use it, and how to troubleshoot any issues that may arise. By the end of this post, you will have a clear understanding of how to access and manage your I-94 travel history online.


What is the I-94 and Why Do You Need It?


The I-94 is a document that is issued by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to non-U.S. citizens who are admitted to the U.S. as nonimmigrants (temporary visitors). It shows your admission number, date of entry, date of departure, visa classification, and authorized period of stay.

The I-94 serves as proof of your legal status and admission to the U.S. You may need it for various purposes, such as:

  • Applying for a driver's license or a state ID card
  • Applying for a Social Security number
  • Applying for immigration benefits, such as adjustment of status or change of status
  • Applying for employment authorization or a work permit
  • Applying for a student visa or an exchange visitor visa
  • Applying for an extension of stay or a change of status
  • Filing taxes
  • Traveling within the U.S. or abroad
  • Proving your lawful presence in case of an immigration enforcement action

How to Get your I-94 Online


Since 2013, most nonimmigrants who enter the U.S. by air or sea are issued an electronic I-94 instead of a paper one. This means that you will not receive a physical copy of your I-94 when you arrive at the port of entry. Instead, you will be given a stamp in your passport that shows your date of entry and visa classification.

To access your electronic I-94 online, you can visit the official website of CBP at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/. There, you can:

  • Get your most recent I-94 by entering your name, date of birth, passport number, and country of citizenship
  • View your travel history by entering your name, date of birth, passport number, country of citizenship, and date range
  • Check your travel compliance by entering your name, date of birth, passport number, country of citizenship, and visa type

You can also print or download a copy of your I-94 or travel history for your records.

If you enter the U.S. by land (from Canada or Mexico), you may still receive a paper I-94 at the port of entry. You can also apply for a provisional I-94 online before you arrive at the border by paying a $6 fee. This can save you time and hassle at the border.

How to Use your I-94 Online


Your I-94 online can help you with various tasks related to your stay in the U.S. Here are some examples:

  1. If you need to apply for a driver's license or a state ID card, you can use your I-94 as proof of your identity and legal status. You may also need to show other documents, such as your passport, visa stamp, and proof of residence. Check with your state's department of motor vehicles (DMV) for specific requirements.
  2. If you need to apply for a Social Security number (SSN), you can use your I-94 as proof of your eligibility to work in the U.S.
  3. If you need to apply for immigration benefits, such as adjustment of status or change of status, you can use your I-94 as proof of your lawful admission and authorized period of stay. You may also need to show other documents, such as your passport, visa stamp, and evidence of your eligibility for the benefit. Check with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for specific requirements.
  4. If you need to apply for employment authorization or a work permit, you can use your I-94 as proof of your identity and legal status. You may also need to show other documents, such as your passport, visa stamp, and evidence of your eligibility for the work authorization. Check with the USCIS for specific requirements.
  5. If you need to apply for a student visa or an exchange visitor visa, you can use your I-94 as proof of your current nonimmigrant status and your intent to return to your home country after completing your studies or program. You may also need to show other documents, such as your passport, visa stamp, and evidence of your acceptance and enrollment in a U.S. school or program. Check with the U.S. Department of State for specific requirements.
  6. If you need to file taxes, you can use your I-94 as proof of your residency status and income sources in the U.S. You may also need to show other documents, such as your passport, visa stamp, and tax forms. Check with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for specific requirements.
  7. If you need to travel within the U.S. or abroad, you can use your I-94 as proof of your legal status and admission to the U.S. You may also need to show other documents, such as your passport, visa stamp, and valid travel documents. Check with the CBP for specific requirements.

How to Troubleshoot Your I-94 Online


Your I-94 online can also help you with various issues that may arise during or after your stay in the U.S. Here are some examples:

  1. If you lose your paper I-94 or it gets damaged or stolen, you can access your electronic I-94 online and print or download a copy for your records. You can also file Form I-102, Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Record, with USCIS to request a replacement paper I-94.
  2. If you find errors on your electronic or paper I-94, such as incorrect name, date of birth, passport number, visa classification, or date of entry or departure, you can correct them online or in person. To correct them online, you can visit the CBP website at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home and submit an inquiry with supporting documents. To correct them in person, you can visit a local CBP deferred inspection site or port of entry with supporting documents.
  3. If you overstay your authorized period of stay on your I-94, you may face serious consequences, such as being barred from re-entering the U.S., being deported from the U.S., or being ineligible for immigration benefits. To avoid overstaying your I-94, you should check your travel compliance online at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/compliance-search and make sure you depart the U.S. on or before the date indicated on your I-94. If you need to extend or change your status while in the U.S., you should file an application with USCIS before your I-94 expires.

Conclusion


The I-94 is a vital document that records your entry and exit dates, visa status, and other information about your stay in the U.S. It is important that you access and manage your I-94 online using the official website of CBP at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/. There, you can get your most recent I-94, view your travel history, check your travel compliance, and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

I hope this blog post has helped you understand how to access and manage your I-94 travel history online. If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you.

Also, if you want more travel tips and tricks, don't forget to subscribe to my blog.

Thank you for reading and happy traveling!
😊

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Contact Form